Sunday, January 12, 2020

Heart Sutra Concert at Singapore Esplanade Theatre


Yesterday I finally got to listen to Imee Ooi live at Singapore Esplanade Concert theatre! I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 hours plus concert. The concert started at about 7.35 pm and ended at about 10.05pm with 20 minutes intermission. Besides singing the Heart Sutra in 8 languages (Mandarin, English, Sanskrit,  Cantonese, Korean, Spanish, Japanese and Tibetan), she also sang the Great Compassion mantra with Jing gang (8 male singers) and Om Mani Padme Hum at the start of Heart Sutra concert. 

Whenever I feel frustrated or upset, I'll listen to the Heart Sutra by Imee Ooi to meditate and calm down. By chanting the Heart Sutra, I feel more at peace. I need to recite the following verse "照见五蕴皆空,度一切苦厄" (Clearly perceived the empty nature of the five skandhas, and transcended all suffering) to remind me of the impermanence nature of life and it is foolish to be angry for long since my identity as a human in this space and time is just a vehicle for me to experience life in this transient temporary material world. No matter how I take care of my body in this human realm, it don't last forever. It will be returned to the earth one day. 

照见五蕴皆空,度一切苦厄  means perceiving the five aggregates (skandhas) making up a person* is but an illusion (emptiness), and with this he was delivered from all sorrow and suffering.

five aggregates: : material form , sensation , discrimination, thinking , and consciousness. 

Heart Sutra is one of the Avalokiteśvara bodhisattva  (觀世音菩薩 ) (practices. In this samsara world, the imperfect world, I'm glad we still have the Dharma, the teaching of Buddha. However Buddha said that once you cross the shore, you also have to stop clinging to the Dharmma. Just let go. The Dharmma is just like a boat that helps you to cross the shore.

Although music is not really encouraged, but I think producing Buddhism music is a way to reach out to the young in the spread of Buddha's teaching.

Inside the Esplanade theatre Singapore.
I paid for $104 (second most expensive price). I sat on first row but was blocked by the speaker.



So happy to hear Imee Ooi sing live. Great awesome performance.
 The Great Compassion Mantra by Imee Ooi and the Jinggang 
The Esplanade theatre by the bay. One of my favourite places in Singapore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment