Sunday, August 6, 2023

Alms Round at Tampines

My friend shared with me that Buddhist monks from the Palelai Temple will go to Tampines Blk 823 Tampines Market for alms round on every Monday morning from 8.15 am to 8.45 am. This alms round practice started during Shakyamuni Buddha time, more than 2500 years ago. It is to teach the monks to be humble and also provide opportunity for people to learn about Buddha's teaching and make merit by giving. 

So during the June holidays, I brought some rice packets, a bottle of cooking oil to offer to the monks at Tampines market with my friend. I couldn't explain it but I felt light-hearted and joyful after offering the requisites to the monks. Please take note that real Buddhist monks don't accept money in the street. They accept cooked or/and uncooked food. 
 
When giving, you practise generosity. There are also different form of giving like giving advice, effort, or providing a listening ear. 

I believe and follow Buddha's teaching on Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold paths, rebirths and karma so you can say I'm a Buddhist. Some people say Buddhism only talk about suffering which is not true. Buddha shared solution too and that is the path out of suffering is to follow the Noble Eightfold paths, one of which is Right Action which also include 5 precepts for lay Buddhists. One of the five precepts is no sexual misconduct. So if you follow the precept, by not committing  extramarital affair, you are not causing unnecessary suffering to your spouse and children. 
 
Buddha advised don't blindly believe. Investigate and see if it is true first. I realised the truth of Buddha's teaching after reading books like Dr Raymond Moody, Life after Life, Dr Brian Weiss, Many Lives, Many Masters and Near-death experiences website here, shared by those survivors who shared about their past lives. From the book, some shared how their current body moles were related to past life injuries which I read in some Buddhism books. I think I have affinity with Buddhism (与佛有缘) as I enjoy listening to dharma talks. Also I can relate to the dharma teaching. I feel so happy listening to dharma talks by Ajahn Keng and Venerable Sheng Yen.

Back to the alms round. If you want to offer requisites to the monks during their alms round, you can visit Palelai temple website here. https://palelaibuddhisttemple.org/visiting-palelai/#weekly-activities 
Monks went for alms round at Tampines Blk 823 on every Monday, 8.15 am to 8.45 am. Image from here
You can find out more about Buddhism from Buddhist monk.

No comments:

Post a Comment