Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Mahayana or Theravada Buddhism?

When I was young, I didn't know that Buddhism is divided into two main Buddhist schools of thoughts namely the Mahayana (Great Vehicle) and Theravada Buddhism (School of the Elders). Mahayana  Buddhism is based on the Bodhisattva path whereas the Theravada Buddhism on meditation to achieve  self-enlightenment to be an Arhant.

Growing up in a typical Chinese family in Singapore, we pray to Buddha, Kuanyin pusa or Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva and other various Chinese deities like Earth god deity (土地公) and others deities. So my family is a typical Taoist family who also pray to Buddha and Kuanyin bodhisattva besides many Taoist deities. My parents are not able to explain to me the difference on Taoism and Buddhism so I started reading up on what is the difference. As I read more, I identify myself as a Buddhist.

Instead of focusing on the differences of Mahayana and Theravada, I focus on the similarities which include the core teaching of Buddha which are the Four Noble truths, the Noble Eightfold path, observing the five precepts, three characteristics of existence, Karma, be mindful, meditate and just do good. After listening to both venerable masters Sheng Yen and Chao Khun Keng, both emphasised the importance of doing good and following on the precepts. 

I enjoy listening to Buddha's teaching from both Mahayana and Theravada venerable monks namely Venerable master Sheng Yen and Chao Khun Keng respectively. Sadly Master Sheng Yen passed on in 2009. But luckily there are many videos on Buddhism by Master Sheng Yen.

On the topic of karma, in the video, Do you want to be a ghost? by venerable Chao Khun Keng, he shared that a person who slaughter chickens for a living suffered from neck pain as he bent the neck of chickens before slaughter. After he stop selling chickens, his neck is no long in pain.

In this life, I hope to share what I learned from the venerable monks with others on Buddha's teaching as it can help people just as Buddha's teaching has helped me. Since we do not own the current physical body forever, why must we hold on to anger and hatred forever? Just let go and send out good will and joy to others.  
Master Sheng Yen on Mahayana and Theravada (Hinayana) 
In Shakyamuni Buddha's time, Buddhism had not split into Mahayana and Hinayana, though Mahayana ideas were already circulating. The distinction between Mahayana and Hinayana and their later developments reflect the different ways of interpreting the Buddha's ideas and the precepts. While Hinayana Buddhism is a conservative form of Buddhism that adheres to Pali scriptures and the Buddha's original teachings, Mahayana Buddhism emphasizes the Bodhisattva spirit in delivering senting beings and transforming the world.
Forest Monk Chao Khun Keng. I enjoy listening to his Dharmma talk

2 comments: