Sunday, February 4, 2018

~ The Last Message of the Buddha ~

Saw this from a Facebook post by Compassion Life Society.
'When I am gone, my Teaching shall
be your Master and Guide.'
Three months before His passing
away the Buddha addressed His
disciples and said: 'I have delivered
sermons to you during these forty-
five years. You must learn them
well and treasure them. You must
practise them and teach them to
others. This will be of great use for
the welfare of the living and for the
welfare of those who come after
you'.
'My years are now full ripe; the life
span left is short. I will soon have
to leave you. You must be earnest.
O monks, be mindful and of pure
virtue! Whoever untiringly pursues
the Teaching, will go beyond the
cycle of birth and death and will
man an end of Suffering.'
When Ananda asked the Buddha
what would become of the Order
after He pass away, the Buddha
replied, 'What does the Order
expect of me, Ananda? I have
preached the Truth without any
distinction; for in regard to the
Truth, there is no clenched hand in
the Teachings of the Buddha‚. It
may be, Ananda, that to some
among you, the thought will come
'The Master's words will soon end;
soon we will no longer have a
master.' But do not think like this,
Ananda. When I am gone, my
Teaching and the disciplinary code
shall be your Master.'
The Buddha further explained: 'If
there is anyone who thinks, 'It is I
who will lead the brotherhood', or
'The Order is dependent on me, it is
I who should give instructions', the
Buddha does not think that He
should lead the order or that the
Order is dependent on Him. I have
reached the end of my days. Just as
a worn-out cart can only be made to
move with much additional care, so
my body can be kept going only
with much additional care.
Therefore, Ananda, be a lamp and
refuge unto yourselves. Look for no
other refuge. Let the Truth be your
lamp and your refuge. Seek no
refuge elsewhere.'
At the age of eighty, on His
birthday, He passed away without
showing any worldly supernatural
powers. He showed the real nature
of component things even in His
own life.
When the Buddha passed away into
Nibbana, one of His disciples
remarked, 'All must depart---all
beings that have life must shed
their compounded forms. Yes, even
a Master such as He, a peerless
being, powerful in Wisdom and
Enlightenment, even He must pass
away.'
The parting words of the Buddha:
'Appamadena Sampadetha Vaya
Dhamma Sankhara'.
'Work diligently.
Component things are impermanent.'

No comments:

Post a Comment