Monday, February 7, 2022

Happy Birthday to All. 初七人日

Today is the seventh day of the first lunar month which is known as 人日 renri (literally translated as human birthday, the day human beings were created based on Chinese customs.

In Teochew tradition, we will eat seven different types of vegetables to celebrate. This year besides seven vegetables, my mum also prepared yusheng and also yummy fried mianxian or vermicelli.

I think I have to start to lose weight. Since the Chinese New Year, I have gained a few kilograms with all those feasting on pineapple tarts, cookies, chocolates and yummy food.

As I reflect on this special day, it reminds me of Buddha's teaching. Buddha said it is rare to attain the human body. I must be mindful of my thoughts and words and do more kind deeds.
“𝙃𝙖𝙧𝙙 𝙞𝙩 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙪𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮, 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙙; 𝙃𝙖𝙧𝙙 𝙞𝙩 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝘿𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙢𝙖, 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙙;”.

On this special day, I like to recite this Repentance verse and apologise to all whom I had directly or/and indirectly hurt by my speech. Pardon me, as those born in Rooster year tend to be honest and blunt.

REPENTANCE

懺悔偈

All the harm I have ever done, since time immemorial, Are caused by greed, anger, and ignorance,

And produced through my body, speech, and will, Now I confess and amend all.

往昔所造諸惡業 皆由無始貪瞋痴 從身語意之所生 一切罪障皆懺悔

Seven different vegetables

Fried mianxian or vermicelli

Yusheng with abalone
                                           Tossing the yusheng with my family

No comments:

Post a Comment