Sunday, October 25, 2020

Blessing of Observing the Precepts

Lately I read comments that Buddhism is a philosophy. In my opinion, it is more than philosophy. It is putting into practice what Buddha taught more than 2500 years ago. It is important to observe the precepts, meditate and read the dharma. 

Buddha taught about karma which is cause and effect. Good action leads to good outcome and vice-versa. Thus he encouraged lay Buddhists to observe the five precept.

As a lay Buddhist, I try to observe the five precepts. From my experience, I noticed that when I accidentally break the precept like accidentally hurting an ant, there be some bad effect. But if I observe the precepts, the day goes by more smoothly. 

The Five Precepts
  • Refrain from taking life. Not killing any living being. 
  • Refrain from taking what is not given. Not stealing from anyone.
  • Refrain from sexual misconduct. No affairs.
  • Refrain from wrong speech. No lying or gossiping about other people.
  • Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment