Sunday, September 29, 2019

Importance of The Five Precepts

Buddha said that to follow his practice, he advised Buddhists (laypeople) to follow his five precepts and the 8 Noble 8-fold path. 

As a Buddhist, I strive to observe the five precepts. However during wedding, when people toast, I drank a sip of wine. Most importantly it is not to indulge in it. In the past when I was working in restaurant, I had to drink lots of wine for wine tasting as part of my job. No wonder, Buddha said it is important to have right livelihood so that it is easier to observe the five precepts. Since I left the restaurant job, I rarely touch alcohol. 

The Buddhist Five Precepts:

These basic training rules are observed by all practicing lay Buddhists. The precepts are often recited after reciting the formula for taking refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.

The Five Precepts:

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.
4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness
Master Sheng Yen on the five precepts. The precepts are meant to safeguard our mental and physical peace and well-being, and to create a harmonious society, instead of intimidating or restricting us. After receiving the precepts, we'll be on our guard and be alert for our actions, and thereby becoming more stable and healthy in mind and body. There's no need to fear taking the precepts; if we break a precept, simply repent and resolve not to make the same mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment