Sunday, October 21, 2018

Master Sheng Yen: The Purpose of Life is to Contribute

I enjoy learning from Venerable Master Sheng Yen on Buddha's teaching. He dedicated his life to propagate the Dharma. Thanks to technology, even though I never met him in life, I learnt so much from his sharing of the Dharma taught by Buddha more than 2500 years ago.

There are many beautiful quotes by him and I agreed with him. 

The purpose of life is to contribute which makes your life more meaningful. 

Even in death, he wanted to contribute by requesting that his ashes be used as fertiliser for plants.

Last year, I took about a year off and travelled solo and read books that I wanted to read but I didn't feel immensely happy. Time flew by very fast when you just spend the time to do what you want and just spending the time for yourself. I felt emptiness and I asked myself what is the purpose of my life. Why didn't I feel happy when I have all the time to do what I always wanted to do which was to travel and eat? 

After the break, I have a better idea of what is happiness. Happiness is to help others whenever you can with your abilities and talents.

Quotes by Master Sheng Yen

面对它,接受它,处理它,放下它


No comments:

Post a Comment