Saturday, October 14, 2017

Faith in Buddha's Teaching

Hi I decided to start a blog on Buddhism as recently I finally accept Buddhism. I hope to share what I learned on Buddhism with everyone. Although my parents have been praying to Guanyin Bodhisattva since I was born, its only last month that I fully embrace its teaching after reading from other books like Dying to be Me by Anita Moojani and Proof of Heaven, A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife by Dr Eben Alexander. Prior to that, I read some books on Buddhism and Heart sutra but I was still skeptical. Also Buddha advised us not to blindly follow him but to analyse his teachings before accepting them.

Many years ago, I read on Heart Sutra(心经) but could not really comprehend them. Even though Heart Sutra is one of the shortest sutra with 260 Chinese characters, it has deep meaning of which I have yet to understand all. But in this blog, I will share on what I understand on Buddhism and Heart Sutra. 

Ironically it was from reading the Dying to be Me and Proof of Heaven that I understood parts of Heart Sutra and Buddhism.

In Dying to be me, Anita shared her near-death experience. She was told that she only had hours left she was suffering from end-stage cancer. Despite leaving her body, without her five physical senses ( eye, hear, smell, touch, mouth), she continue to exist and she could see her past, present and future lives simultaneously. In the other realm, time does not run linearly. After realising how magnificent she was, her cancer miraculously shrink by 70% in 5 days and completely disappeared within 5 weeks. 

From Proof of Heaven, Dr Eben Alexander shared what he saw in his near-death experience. Initially I was thinking, he might preach on Christianity since he is a Christian. Surprising he did not preach but instead shared what he saw in the other realm when he was in coma from meningitis. 

He first arrived in the Realm of the Earthworm's Eye View where he saw "grotesque animal faces bubbled out of the muck, groaned or screeched." This must be what Buddha said about the Hell realm. Next Dr Eben said that through conscious effort, he ascended towards the light where he saw beautiful countryside where people sang and danced. That must be Heavenly realm. However he also described above the heaven, he saw higher beings with no forms up at the sky in the Heavenly realm. Perhaps even in Heavenly realms, there are different levels of heavenly realms. In Chinese, there is a saying 天外有天( sky above sky or heaven above heaven). I read that there are many different Heavenly realms from Buddhist books. The lower Heavenly realm still have forms or ego and after enjoying the good karma, they'll still be reborn as human. However the higher heavenly realms have no forms and will not be reborn as human.

He was next guided to the Core and he heard the sound Om. Surprisingly in Buddhism, there is this 6-syllable mantra Om Mani Padme Hum. I will share this mantra in next post. Surprisingly I thought I'll learn more on Buddhism if I only read Buddhist books. Sometimes other books just help me to connect the dots. 

I will continue to read and put into practice what I learnt from Buddha's teaching. I will use this blog to share what I find is useful to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment